Summer berry sorbet with pain perdu and fresh summer berries
Ingredients (serves 4)
Summer berry sorbet
- 100g strawberries
- 100g raspberries
- 100g blueberries
- 100g blackberries
- 100g redcurrants
- 2-3 tbsp crème de cassis
- 2 free range egg whites
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 free range eggs
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod (seeds only)
- 2 slices of thick sliced white bread
- 25g unsalted Butter
- Leftover berries from punnets
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 4 mint tips
Method for the summer berry sorbet
- Place the fruit, liqueur and 175ml water in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- If you have an ice cream machine, churn the mixture until it starts to freeze; alternatively, pour into a rigid container and freeze, stirring every 30 minutes or so until ice crystals start to form and it feels slushy.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff then gradually add the sugar, beating until firm and glossy. Fold the meringue into the freezing fruit mixture and continue to freeze and stir until completely frozen. If you are making it in advance, transfer the mixture to the fridge 30 minutes before serving.
Method for the pain perdu
- Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla seeds together in a bowl until well-combined.
- Cut out discs from the slices of bread using a 3-4 inch cutter, dip the discs in the mixture ensuring they are well-coated.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the well-coated discs of bread for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden-brown all over.
- To serve, place the pain perdu onto a serving plate and place a scoop of the summer berry sorbet on top. Dress the plate with the remaining fresh berries, a mint tip and finish with a dusting of icing sugar.
Meet our expert strawberry grower.