Sticky golden beetroot cake
Ingredients (makes 18 bars)
- 175g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 250g soft dark brown sugar
- 100ml honey
- 3 free range eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 250g golden beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1 apple peeled, cored and grated
- Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and grease a 30mm deep rubber cake mould or alternatively, use a tray bake and cut the bars out when the cake has cooled.
- Place the honey, sugar and butter in a pan and melt then leave to cool.
- Once the sugar mix has cooled, place in a mixing bowl with the eggs and whisk until it is light and fluffy.
- Gently fold in the self-raising flour, mixed spice and baking powder.
- Fold in the grated golden beetroot and apple before placing equal amounts into the greased cake moulds.
- Cook for 15 minutes. To test if the bars are cooked all the way through, place a skewer into the cake, if it is clean when removed, then the beetroot cake is ready.
- Immediately turn the beetroot cake out onto a baking rack and allow to cool before dusting with icing sugar.