Roasted leek and swede tart with mozzarella
- 1 Swede
- 80g butter
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1g course black pepper
- 1 leek
- 10g olive oil
- 300g ready-made puff pastry
- 125g mozzarella ball
- Peel the skin off the swede and cut into rough cut dice.
- Boil or steam the swede until soft and cooked.
- In a blender, place the diced swede with 2 tbsp of the water that the swede was cooked in. Add the butter and blend until smooth.
- Check the seasoning. Pass through a sieve to make sure that you have a smooth puree.
- Cut the leeks into 5cm pieces and then cut them in half (lengthways).
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan and fry the leeks until golden brown. Place to one side to cool.
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Using ready-made puff pastry, cut the pastry into a rectangle shape measuring 6cm x 30cm.
- Place onto a baking tray that is lined with grease proof paper.
- With the excess pastry, cut 1cm wide strips the same length as the rectangle to form a border. Brush the rectangle edges with water and add the strips.
- Inside the puff pastry rectangles, add piece of the grilled leek, then about a tablespoon of the Swede puree, repeat this process until the whole pastry is full.
- Cut a mozzarella ball into 1cm thick slices and place on top of the leek.
- An optional extra is to chop some flat leaf parsley and sprinkle down the middle.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 35min or until the pastry is golden brown in colour. Make sure that the bottom of the pastry is cooked.
- Cut into three even portions and serve with a simple salad of your choice.