- 700g forced rhubarb
- 250g light brown sugar
- 500ml water
- Juice ½ lemon
- 1 vanilla pod, split in half and scrape out the seeds
- Cut the rhubarb into approx. 2 – 3 cm pieces and wash very well.
- In a pot bring to the boil the water, sugar, rhubarb, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes until the rhubarb has turned to mush.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Leave this mixture to stand overnight before straining, this will allow all the ingredients to infuse.
- Pass it through a sieve, taking care not to force it through the sieve.
- This will make approx 400 – 450ml and keeps in the fridge.