Pumpkin Laksa with smoked Tofu and rice noodles
Ingredients (makes 10 portions)
- 1litre vegetable stock
- 500g diced pumpkin
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 leek
- 4 dried kaffir lime leaf
- 50g (½ bunch) fresh coriander
- 20ml sesame oil
- 1 tbsp low salt soy sauce
- 2 x 400g coconut milk
- 2 limes
- In a blender, blend together the lemon grass, garlic, ginger and red chilli to make a paste.
- Cut the pumpkin into 2cm rough dice, and the leeks cut into 2cm rounds, rinse well.
- In a large pot, add 20ml sesame oil and fry off the lemon grass paste, add the turmeric and the kaffir lime leaf.
- Using a small amout of the vegetable stock to deglaze the pan.
- Add the pumpkin and leeks with the rest of the vegetable stock.
- Let this boil over a medium heat until the pumpkin is cooked.
- Add the coriander and soy sauce and bring to the boil.
- Using a hand blender, blend the sauce until smooth.
- Add the coconut milk one tin at a time, bring back up to the boil.
- Finish off the Laksa with the juice of two limes.
The vegetables to go in the laksa
- 5 baby aubergine, cut in half
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- 1tbsp low salt soy sauce
- 500g smoked tofu
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g baby corn
- 2 red chillies
- 2 bunches spring onions
- 500g ready cooked rice noodles
- Cut the baby aubergines in half, place on a roasting tray.
- Sprinkle the aubergine with sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for about 20 minutes or until the aubergine is cooked.
- Press the smoked tofu between two trays to get ready of any excess liquid, do this for at least half an hour.
- Cut the tofu into about 2cm blocks.
- In a frying pan, fry the tofu with some vegetable oil, ensuring there is a good colour on all side.
- Blanch the baby corn in boiling water, cut length ways in half.
- Finely slice the red chillies, and keep in cold water until ready to serve.
- Cut ½ cm thick roundels of spring onions.
- Pick a few pieces of coriander leaves for garnish.
Assembling the Laksa
- Make sure that everything is hot, except the sliced red chilli and spring onion.
- In the bottom of the serving bowls place the rice noodles.
- Add the Laksa sauce then place the aubergine, baby corn and tofu on top.
- Finish off with the spring onions, red chilli and coriander leaves.