Pork tenderloin wrapped in cabbage and bacon with pearled spelt, cheddar and fresh pea risotto
Ingredients (serves four)
- 1 pork tenderloin, sinew removed
- Thin slices of smoked streaky bacon or pancetta
- 5 outer leaves of Savoy cabbage, stalk removed
Pearled spelt risotto
- 300g organic pearled spelt
- 100g shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 30g salted butter
- 200ml apple juice
- 500ml chicken stock
- 75g mature farmhouse cheddar, grated
- 150g peas (preferably fresh but frozen can be used), blanched for 30 seconds
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Savoy cabbage leaves finely shredded
- Sea salt flakes
- Place the Savoy cabbage outer leaves into boiling water and cook for 45 seconds before removing and placing in chilled water. Once chilled, remove and squeeze out the excess water then pat dry with paper towel.
- Line cling film with bacon or pancetta, ensuring that each piece overlaps each other and that there are no gaps. Layer the bacon to the same length as the tenderloin.
- Wrap the trimmed tenderloin with the cooked cabbage, then place the cabbage-wrapped tenderloin onto the bacon-lined cling film. Wrap the bacon around the tenderloin tightly using the cling film. Once tight, tie the ends of the cling film to secure. To retain a better cylindrical shape use foil in addition to the cling film, twisting the ends of the foil to tighten, and leave in the fridge until required.
- To prepare the spelt risotto, place the chicken stock in a pan over a high heat. In another pan, sweat off the olive oil, shallot and garlic over a medium heat until translucent, then add the pearled spelt and simmer for five minutes before adding the apple juice.
- When all of the apple juice has been absorbed, start to add the chicken stock one ladle at a time until all of the stock has been absorbed and the spelt is just tender. Stir in the cheese, butter, blanched peas and seasoning before serving.
- To cook the tenderloin, preheat an oven to 200°C. Place the tenderloin in non-stick pan over a medium heat and brown off the bacon on all sides. When evenly browned, transfer to a preheated oven and cook for twelve minutes, then rest for two minutes before slicing.
- For the garnish, preheat the oil in a fryer to 180°C and place the finely shredded Savoy cabbage leaves into the hot oil. Fry for one minute before transferring to a paper towel to soak up the excess oil. Sprinkle sea salt over the crispy cabbage.
- To serve, spoon equal amounts of the pearled spelt and pea risotto into four shallow bowls and place two to three slices of the pork tenderloin on top; finish with the crispy cabbage.