Poached flat peach with raspberry sorbet and crème anglaise
Ingredients (serves four)
Poached flat peaches
- 4 flat peaches
- 200g granulated sugar
- 100ml white wine
- 200ml water
- 1 split vanilla pod
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 500g raspberries
- 2 – 3 tbsp raspberry liquor
- 2 free range egg whites
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 free range egg yolks
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 split vanilla pod
- 300ml double cream
- Place the fruit, liqueur and 175ml of water into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- If you have an ice cream machine, churn the mixture until it starts to freeze. Alternatively, pour the mixture into a rigid container and freeze, stirring every 30 minutes or so until ice crystals start to form and it feels slushy.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff then gradually add the sugar, beating until firm and glossy. Fold the meringue into the freezing fruit mixture and continue to freeze and stir until completely frozen. If making in advance, transfer the mixture to the fridge 30 minutes before serving.
Poached flat peach
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and have a bowl of iced water ready. Dip the flat peaches into the boiling water for 30 seconds before immediately transferring the peaches to the iced water. Once chilled, their skin can be removed quite easily.
- In another pan that is large enough to keep the peaches submerged, combine the water, wine, sugar, vanilla pod and rosemary. Lower the peaches into the syrup and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender (not overly soft). When they are ready, take the peaches out of the syrup to cool down.
- Boil the remaining syrup until it has reduced by half, chill and retain for spooning over the peaches when serving.
- Place the cream into a saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and add the seeds and the pod to the milk. Cook for 5 minutes, bringing to the boil.
- Meanwhile, place the yolks into a heatproof bowl. Add the caster sugar and whisk lightly to combine.
- Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water for a few minutes, whisking constantly.
- Transfer the yolk mixture to a mixing bowl. Strain the hot cream and add in steady steam to the yolk mixture, whisking as you go. Whisk until the mixture thickens.
- Place a pool of the crème anglaise in the centre of the plate then place one of the poached flat peaches on top of the pool and drizzle syrup over the top.
- Sit a ball of the raspberry sorbet on top of the peach and garnish with white chocolate tempered and swirled with red food colouring.
- Finish with a sprig of chervil.