Moist carrot and cardamom cake with orange frosting
Ingredients (makes one loaf)
For the carrot and cardamom cake
- 250g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 cardamom pods, split open and seeds grinded with pestle and mortar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250g soft dark brown sugar
- 4 free range eggs
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 250g carrot, grated
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 50g walnuts, roughly chopped
For the topping
- 200g cream cheese
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 85g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 large orange, zested and juiced
- Preheat the oven to 160°c and grease and line a 210 x 108mm loaf tin.
- Place the eggs and sugar into a mixing bowl and whisk until fluffy. Slowly add the vegetable oil.
- Gently fold in the self-raising flour, salt, cinnamon, ground cardamom seeds and the bicarbonate of soda.
- Fold in the grated carrot, coconut and walnuts and place mix into greased and lined loaf tin.
- Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes. Place a skewer in the middle of the cake to test if the cake is cooked. If the skewer comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
- When cooked, immediately turn the cake out onto a baking rack and allow to cool before topping.
- For the topping, place the cream cheese, softened butter, icing sugar, orange zest and juice in a bowl and beat for a minute.
- Using a spatula or palette knife, evenly spread the cream cheese topping over the carrot cake.