Mini toffee apple muffins
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 150g self-raising flour
- 70g caster sugar
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 50g honey
- 2 sharp apples, cored and grated
Toffee apple pieces
- 1 small red apple, cored and sliced into 12 wedges
- 100g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Grease the mini muffin moulds
- Mix flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon and leave to one side.
- Place the sugar and eggs in a bowl and whisk until white and fluffy.
- Slowly pour in the honey, followed by vegetable oil whilst whisking into the batter.
- Sift the dry ingredients over the batter and mix carefully, taking care not to disturb the bubbles in the batter.
- When the dry ingredients are almost mixed in, add the grated apple and mix carefully.
- Place into greased muffin moulds and bake for 12 minutes.
- For the toffee apples, skewer the apple pieces and place the caster sugar in a pan over a high heat.
- When the sugar starts to dissolve, swirl it around in the pan so that it dissolves evenly (do not stir). The sugar will continue to cook in the pan; when the sugar is golden, pour it into a bowl.
- The sugar will begin to set quickly so dip the apple pieces in to the melted sugar and place straight onto the top of the toffee apple muffins.