Individual apricot clafoutis with a clotted cream and apricot sorbet
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 6 apricots, halved and stoned
- 85g flour, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100ml double cream
- 4 free range eggs
- 85g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
- Unsalted butter for greasing
Clotted cream and apricot sorbet
- 450g ripe, fresh apricots
- 120g caster sugar
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- 100g clotted cream
For the clafoutis
- Use the unsalted butter to grease the individual gratin dishes (5cm diameter) and preheat the oven to 220°.
- Arrange 3 apricot halves (overlap if need be) in the dish flesh-side down and sprinkle with some caster sugar.
- Put the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk till smooth.
- Pour mixture over the apricots, and dot with 3 small knobs of butter. Put in the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes until the custard is set and the top is puffed and lightly browned.
For the sorbet
- Slice open the apricots and remove the pits, then cut each apricot into six pieces. Cook the apricot pieces with the water in a covered medium, non-reactive saucepan over medium heat until tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar until dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Once cool, purée the apricots and any liquid in a food processor until smooth, then pass the mixture through a strainer.
- Place the puree back in a food processor and, with the clotted cream and lemon juice, blend until smooth.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly, and then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve the clafoutis with or without the clotted cream and apricot sorbet.