Citrus chiboust with cherry compote and an orange and fennel seed tuile
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 150mls lemon juice
- Grated zest of 2 lemons and 2 limes
- 150ml double cream
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 25g cornflour
- 6 free range egg yolks
- 1 leaf gelatine (soaked)
- 200g caster sugar
- 50ml water
- 6 free range egg whites
- 300g pitted cherries
- 60g preserving sugar
- 2 tbsp kirsch
Orange and fennel seed tuile
- 65g unsalted butter, softened
- 60g icing sugar sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 70g plain flour (sifted)
- ½ teaspoon Thiercelin fennel seeds
- Grated zest of ½ orange
- Boil together the lemon juice, lemon and lime zests and cream.
- Mix the 4 tbsp caster sugar with the cornflour and yolks in a large bowl and add the boiled cream mixture, whisking continuously.
- Return the mixture to a clean pan and heat gently until thickened (do not boil). Remove from the heat and stir in squeezed out gelatine until completely dissolved.
- Boil the 200g caster sugar and water together to 130°C (soft ball stage).
- While the sugar is boiling, whisk the 6 egg whites in a mixing machine until they reach a stiff peak stage. Whisking continually, gradually pour the boiled sugar onto the egg whites. Continue to whisk slowly until just warm to the touch then gently fold the meringue mixture into the citrus custard.
- Line a deep-sided baking tray with silicone paper or cling film and fill with the mixture. Level off and freeze until firm.
- Place the cherries, kirsch and preserving sugar in a thick-bottomed pan. Simmer until all of the sugar is dissolved and the cherries are just cooked. Remove from the heat and reserve until needed.
- Beat together the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the remaining egg whites to the butter and icing sugar and beat then gently stir in the sifted flour, orange zest and fennel seeds and chill for one hour.
- Using a template, spread or pipe the tuile mixture onto a silicone mat or paper and bake in a preheated oven (160°C) until lightly golden and set (approx. 6-8 mins).
- To assemble, arrange the cherries on a plate, portion the chiboust cream and glaze quickly with a blow torch before placing on top of the cherries and finish by balancing the biscuits artistically on the side of the plate.