Chocolate, orange and beetroot brownies
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 500g whole raw beetroot, peeled and grated
- 100g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the baking tray
- 200g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 free range eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- Zest of 1 small orange
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C and butter and line a 20x30cm baking tray or small roasting tin.
- Roughly chop the chocolate, cut the butter into cubes and place in a bowl over a pan of simmering water to melt.
- When the chocolate and butter have melted, put into a food processor or blender with the grated beetroot and vanilla and pulse until the ingredients have combined.
- Put the sugar and eggs into a large bowl and beat with a whisk until thick, pale and foamy.
- Spoon the beetroot mix into the bowl and use a large metal spoon to fold it into the whisked eggs. Try to conserve as much air in the mixture as you can.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder, add the orange zest and then gently fold these in to make a smooth batter.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 25 mins or until risen all over. Cool the beetroot brownies completely in the tin before cutting into squares.