Chargrilled asparagus with prosciutto and a poached free range egg
Chargrilled asparagus wrapped in prosciutto ham
- 12 jumbo asparagus spears, de-eared and woody stalk removed (when in season, use English for a supreme flavour)
- 80g Taleggio, cut into 5cm (20g) strips
- 4 slices of prosciutto ham
- olive oil for brushing and pan frying
- 8 sage leaves
- rapeseed oil for frying
- 4 free range eggs
- salt and pepper
- Parmegiano Reggiano shavings
- olive oil for drizzling
- Make the wrapped asparagus in advance by brushing the asparagus with olive oil and chargrilling for 3 minutes ensuring that they are turned throughout. Leave to cool before adding the Taleggio. For each portion take 3 spears and place a strip of Taleggio inbetween the base of the spears. Wrap the prosciutto around the base of the spears and chill until needed.
- To poach the eggs, crack into a cup before placing in water. Ensure that the water is simmering, swirl the water with a whisk before gently dropping the egg into the middle of the swirl – the swirl will give the egg a nice shape. Cook for two minutes before placing into chilled water using a slotted spoon. To reheat the poached egg place into simmering water with a slotted spoon for 1 minute.
- When ready to serve, drizzle a little olive oil into a large frying pan and place over a high heat. When the oil begins to smoke, pan fry the wrapped asparagus on all sides until the prosciutto is golden brown and the Taleggio is starting to ooze out. Alternatively heat in a hot oven at 220°C for 3-5mins.
- For the sage crisps, deep fry the sage leaves in hot oil (180°C) for a few minutes until crispy. Remove from the oil, drain on kitchen paper and season with sea salt (or sel de Geurande)
- Place on a serving plate and finish with a poached free range egg, some sage crisps, Parmesan shavings and a drizzle of olive oil.