Blacksticks blue cheese scones with cranberry jam
Ingredients (makes approximately 20 canapes)
For the Blacksticks blue cheese scones
- 225g self-raising flour
- Salt and pepper
- 55g chilled salted butter
- 50g Blacksticks blue cheese
- 2 free range eggs
- 5 tbsp milk
For the cranberry jam
- 250g cranberries
- 100g caster sugar
- Zest and juice of ½ of a lemon
- 1 Royal Gala apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 60ml water
For the topping
- 200g cream cheese
- Start by making the cranberry jam. Place the cranberries, grated apple, sugar, zest and juice of the lemon along with the water into a heavy based pan and place over a medium heat. Bring to a slow simmer, stirring occasionally, and cook for 2 hours. When it is ready, transfer to a kilner jar and refrigerate.
- For the scones, preheat the oven to 220°C. Place the self-raising flour, cold butter and seasoning into a food processor and pulse until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add in one of the eggs, the Blacksticks blue and the milk and pulse again until the mixture has combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out until 10mm thick. Cut out the scones using a 30mm cutter. Beat the second egg in a bowl and brush the top of the scones with the egg before placing onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Place the tray into the preheated oven and cook the scones for 8 – 10 minutes or until golden.
- When the scones are cool and you are ready to serve, cut the top off and spread with the cream cheese. Finish with some of the cranberry jam and, if you wish, place the top back on.