Blackened whole celeriac with jalapeno herb butter
For the celeriac
- One large, whole celeriac
- A little rapeseed oil
For the jalapeno butter
- 250g of good quality, unsalted butter (softened)
- One fresh jalapeno pepper (deseeded and finely diced)
- Zest of one lemon
- 10g fresh flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- 10g fresh chives (finely chopped)
- Pinch of sea salt
For the Celeriac
- Wash and dry the whole celeriac, and then rub with the rapeseed oil.
- Cook on a ceramic barbecue (e.g. Kamado Joe) with the lid closed and with both the top and bottom vents slightly open at approximately 150°C for around three hours.
- Turn the celeriac often during the cooking process to ensure an even colouration.
N.B. if you do not have a ceramic barbecue, the celeriac can be cooked in a hot oven set to 200°C, for around 2 hours but check throughout cooking.
- To test when the celeriac is properly cooked, push a skewer all the way through. If there is no resistance, the celeriac is ready.
For the butter
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Roll the butter into a log with silicon paper and refrigerate.
- When butter is set slice into discs.
- Cut off the top of the celeriac and fluff up the flesh with a fork.
- Put discs of butter into the celeriac and allow to melt through.
- Serve with corn tortillas.