Beetroot and sweet potato samosas with a tzatziki dip
Beetroot and sweet potato filling
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 250g already cooked beetroot
- 5g chives, chopped
- 5g flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 5g mint, chopped
- Zest of one lemon
- 50g feta cheese
- 1g course black pepper
- 1 box of filo pastry
- 125g butter
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into small ½ cm dice.
- Put a small pot of boiling water into a medium heat and bring to the boil, add the sweet potato and cook.
- Make sure that you don’t overcook the sweet potato otherwise it will become mush.
- Remove from the heat, drain the water off and run under cold water until cool.
- Place the cooked sweet potato into a large bowl.
- Dice the cooked beetroot into the same size as the sweet potato and add to the bowl.
- Add the herbs, zest of a lemon and the feta cheese to the bowl and stir gently as not to break up the feta too much.
- Melt the butter either in the microwave or the stove.
- On a clean surface take out the filo pasty, cover with a damp cloth so that the filo does not dry out.
- Take one sheet at a time and cut in half.
- Each half you brush with melted butter and fold again length ways.
- Brush this with melted butter.
- Place about a tablespoon of each filling at the bottom of the filo.
- Make the samosas by folding a triangle and then repeating the process until you get to the top.
- Bake in an oven which has been heated to 180⁰C, for about 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown in colour.
- Take out and allow to cool slightly.
We recommend that you serve the samosas with tzatziki.