Asparagus ravioli with chargrilled asparagus, Taleggio and Proscuitto
Ingredients (serves four)
- 1kg prepared fresh filled asparagus ravioli
- 100g salted butter
- 8 sage leaves
Chargrilled asparagus wrapped in Prosciutto
- 12 jumbo asparagus spears, de-eared and woody stalk removed (when in season, use English for a supreme flavour)
- 80g Taleggio, cut into 5cm (20g) strips
- 4 slices of Prosciutto
- Olive oil for brushing and pan frying
- 8 sage leaves
- Rapeseed oil for frying
- Salt and pepper
- Parmegiano reggiano shavings
- Make the wrapped asparagus in advance by brushing the asparagus with olive oil and chargrilling for 3 minutes, ensuring that they are turned throughout. Leave to cool before adding the Taleggio. For one portion take 3 spears and place a strip of Taleggio in between the base of the spears. Wrap Prosciutto around base of spears and chill until needed.
- For the sage butter, melt the salted butter and separate the clarified butter from the milk, discarding the remaining milk. Gently warm the clarified butter with the 8 sage leaves to infuse the sage flavour. Remember to remove the sage leaves before serving.
- To build the dish place the ravioli in salted boiling water and cook for 4 minutes. Meanwhile, add a little olive oil to a large frying pan and place over a high heat. When the oil begins to smoke, pan fry the wrapped asparagus on all sides until the prosciutto is golden brown and the taleggio is starting to ooze out. Alternatively, place in a hot oven (approximately 220°C) for 3-5 minutes.
- When the ravioli is cooked, drain and toss with the sage butter before placing into serving bowls. Place the wrapped asparagus on top and finish with deep-fried sage crisps, parmesan shavings, salt, pepper and drizzle the remaining sage butter over the top.
Hints and tips – for vegetarians, replace the Prosciutto with chargrilled aubergine tongues, and replace the Taleggio and Parmigiano Reggiano with vegetarian hard cheese shavings.