From greengrocer to national distributors
In 1945 William Reynolds set up a fruit and veg stall at the Ridley Road Market in Hackney. That was the start of the Reynolds fruit and vegetable business. A company that today supplies more than 1,000 different fruit, vegetables and salads to some of the most famous names in the catering and food service industries.
History of Reynolds’ fruit and veg company
- 1945 William Reynolds sets up his fruit and veg stall at Ridley Road Market, Hackney.
- 1988 Reynolds starts supplying fruit and veg to restaurants in London and the Home Counties.
- 1989 William and his son and grandson open a bigger fruit and veg stall at Old Spitalfields Market in Whitechapel.
- 1991 The Reynolds’ fruit and veg company moves to New Spitalfields Market in Leyton.
- 2001 Reynolds’ first regional fruit and veg distribution depot in Manchester opens.
- 2002 Reynolds opens Bristol fruit and veg distribution depot.
- 2003 Reynolds opens fruit and veg distribution depots in the Midlands and Scotland, allowing the company to offer full national fruit and veg distribution.
- 2005 Reynolds opens its 140,000 sq ft temperature controlled national fruit and veg distribution facility at Waltham Cross, North London.
- 2009 Extensive cheese produce range is launched.
- 2010 Reynolds invests in a new IT operating system to provide a solid platform for future growth.
William’s dream was to delight his customers with the very best fresh produce. A dream that is lived today through William’s son, Dave, and his grandson, Tony. Today, Tony Reynolds oversees the growth of the business supported by a dynamic management team, who work hard to ensure that everyone at Reynolds feels a part of the family.
View our seasonal product guide
More Reynolds' information for the media.